Sunday, May 31, 2009

Networking...

Last Thursday (28th May) I went to my first networking event. It was run by the Brisbane Central Leads Club, and it gave me the opportunity to meet and "network" with other business owners.

The evening confirmed what Tony Carter from the Wynnum Chamber of Commerce advised me during our meeting on Wednesday 20th May, that 80% to 90% of business is drummed up through networking.

Various members of the leads club explained to me that most of their clients are derived from various forms of networking...weather it was from organised networking functions, or simple word-of-mouth. It was made pretty clear to me that the benefits of becoming a member of a networking group are enormous!

So, what is networking?

Well, I've only been to one event, so I am no expert, but basically it's a forum where people in business come together and discuss who they are and what they do. It's an opportunity for professionals from just about any industry from your local hairdresser to the solicitor to introduce themselves, and their business, in the hopes of gaining referals.

It is also facilitates knowledge sharing. This is also a major benefit of joining a networking group because like they say "a problem shared is a problem halved".

My next networking event is on 11th June with the The Kitchen Table Network, which is basically a womens networking group. I am really looking forward to this one. I will let you know how it goes...

Regards
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers

Contributors